Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blog Post #7

The Networked Student
 By Wendy Drexler:


     This video is very important for the 21st century educator. It shows exactly what the classroom is turning into. The future classroom is full of blogs, online teachers and networking! It was interesting to see all of the wonderful things that a student can learn to do alone. The networked student is aloud to take control of their education.
     With all of the many ways that technology can be used, the networked student is able to experiment and for opinions of his/her own.  The networked student creates his/her own PLN with all of the things he/she has learned in class. The best part is, the teacher has not lectured this student. Instead, this student has spent his school days blogging and searching the internet much like we do in EDM310. This kind of learning empowers students to take control of their education.
     At the end of the video, the question was asked, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" So many great reasons were given. The networked student needs a teacher because she is the one who teaches how to build the network and take advantage of new opportunities. She offers guidance when the student gets stuck. She shows him how to communicate properly and ask respectfully for help from experts. The teacher teaches the student to be organized. There were many other things mentioned about the teacher of a networked student and I agree with them all. It is important that if a classroom is networked the teacher understand all of these responsibilities. 
     I believe that this idea may work with students over 5th grade, but my elementary students will definitely need a teacher to help them learn the basics!




A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
(PLE)

     A 7th grade student gives a YouTube tour of her Personal Learning Environment. She made organization look very easy. In the beginning of the year she took time out to learn how to navigate and research topics. She used a program called symbaloo and she had so many personal networks all organized. This student used the PLE for her Science class, but I understand that this will be good for any classroom or even office. It is a great way to stay organized! This video had me interested in creating my own PLN! I understand that this project is on the checklist of things to do. I have not yet started, but I can only hope mine will be as good as hers.


Special Assignment
Thomas Suarez: a 12 yr old app developer    
     This 12 yr old boy created an app! He walked the audience through his steps as if it was nothing. This proves that technology is not as hard as most people try to make it. We just need to dig into it and discover all of the possibilities for creations that it has for us. This video teaches that technology is all around us. It is very similar to the "networked student" and supports the idea that the 21st century is going to need to really be up to date in order to effectively teach his/her students.



4 comments:

  1. Angyl White,
    My name is Jamie Cunningham, and I am enrolled in EDM 310 with you this semester. We have not met yet, but I look forward to meeting you. I enjoyed reading your post! The post about the networked student you stated that you don't believe the method would work for younger students. I agree with you children at that age still need to be watched! They have not yet learned responsibility and are not really ready to do things on their own all the time. It's ok to give them projects, but to make a lot of the work completely online would be to much! Regarding the post about symbaloo. I enjoyed doing the pln!! Mines is not as good as hers because I do not use as many tools as she does, but maybe one day mines will be great as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched Thomas Suarez! I feel it is amazing what these children are doing. I have two children and I hope they grow up to be as smart as the children in the videos that we have been watching lately. I know that I will have a major impact on them because I am their mother. So I guess that means that I need to step up!! Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete